Term Frequencies Chart shows a line graph depicting the distribution of a word’s occurrence across a corpus.
- Getting Started
- Interface Elements
When you first arrive to the Term Frequencies Chart tool you will see one of two possible screens:
Term Frequencies Chart without a pre-loaded corpus. See loading texts into Voyeur for help on how to proceed.
Term Frequencies Chart with a pre-loaded corpus. You were probably given a URL that included the corpus, or you’re viewing a page that has an embedded Voyeur tool in it. If you prefer, you can also start without a corpus.
Term Frequencies Chart includes the standard set of interface elements (see image to the right). For more help with these see the Voyeur Tools Standard Interface Elements page.
The tool provides a line graph of word frequency over a corpus. The corpus is split into segments, if the corpus contains more than one document each segment is comprised of a single document. If the corpus only contains one document, the segments are sections of that document.
Each line in the graph is coloured according to the word it represents, at the top of the graph a legend displays which words are associated with which colours. Hovering over any point on the graph provides an info box, this box provides the title of the segment that is being hovered over, and the frequency of the word in that segment.
The tool has four main features that allow the user to interpret the visualization.
- “Relative Frequencies” / “Raw Frequencies”: The user can toggle between having the chart graph the relative and the raw frequency for a word. This setting is especially helpful for large corpuses with uneven document length. Whereas a corpus of a single document with segments of equal length will display almost exactly comparable results for the two settings a corpus with many documents will probably have vastly divergent results. Toggling between the two settings, the info displayed from hovering over a point will differ slightly.
|For “Relative Frequencies” the frequency is displayed as a rate; 82.64 / 10,000 words.||For “Raw Frequencies” the frequency is displayed as an absolute value.|
- Segments: As stated above in “Reading the tool” if a corpus is comprised of only one document the document is split into a number of segments. This is controlled through the “Segments” drop-down menu. On the other hand if the corpus contains more than one document the number of segments will be fixed.
- Collapse Terms: Selecting the “Collapse Terms” check box will produce a summation of the frequencies of all the currently selected terms and display it as a single line on the graph.
- Zoom: Clicking and dragging on a section of the chart will zoom into that section. To reset the chart to its original state, click on “Reset zoom”. Once maximum zoom has been reached selecting an area will center it on the graph but will not produce a zoom effect.
Words can be added to the graph through the “Search” box in the bottom left-hand corner of the tool. Although through this method only one word can be selected at a time. When you begin typing a word into the box, a selection of auto-completed words will be suggested in a drop-down menu. To select the word click the word in the drop down menu of auto-completed words or finish typing the word in the text box and press “enter” on the keyboard. Not all words that are proposed by the auto-complete box occur within the text and selecting a term that does not then appear in the main display would indicate that this term is not present.
Clicking on one of the terms in the legend will grey out the word and omit it from the graph. Clicking the word again will include it once more.
Clicking on a data point will open a new instance of the Voyant default skin with a focus on the selected term.
Like all Voyeur tools, Term Frequencies Chart can be reused in a variety of ways:
- create a link that is specific to the corpus and options that are currently being used
- embed the current corpus and options as a tool in an external page
For more information see exporting and reusing Voyeur Tools.
[iframe src=”http://voyant-tools.org/tool/TypeFrequenciesChart/?useReferer=true” style=”width: 100%; height: 400px;”]