Links represents the collocation of terms in a corpus by depicting them in a network through the use of a force directed graph. In this graph the frequency of the word is indicate by relative size of the term.
- Getting Started
- Interface Elements
When you first arrive to the Links tool you will see one of two possible screens:
Links with a pre-loaded corpus. You were probably given a URL that included the corpus, or you’re viewing a page that has an embedded Voyeur tool in it. If you prefer, you can also start without a corpus.
Links includes the standard set of interface elements (see image to the right). For more help with these see the Voyeur Tools Standard Interface Elements page.
To the left of the tool body you will see a list of all the documents in the corpus. Each document is assigned a specific colour, if there are more than six documents in the corpus the colours will repeat. Each word in the graph will also be assigned a colour, this colour indicates which document this word occurred in the most frequently.
Hovering over a word will display further information about the words occurrence through out the corpus. This includes a complete list of the documents the word occurred in and the frequency with which the word occurred in that document.
To manipulate the visualization, the user may drag and drop words, or freeze them in position to organize them. To freeze a word right click on it, in the menu that is presented you will notice the “Stick/unstick” button. When a word is stuck it will not move when other terms are moved nor will it be moved by the graph.
Opening the “Options” window will provide for the user several other functionalities.
- Firstly choosing a stop words list will remove all of the stop words from the visualization.
- Secondly node size can be toggled to be determined by either the overall frequency of the word in the corpus or it can be determined by the number of links the word exhibits with other words in the corpus. Determining node size by frequency is the default, and can be selected be choosing “Type frequency”. Determining node size by number of links can be selected be choosing “Node links”.
- Thirdly “Autofit graph on screen” sizes the graph depending on the size of your browser window.
- Fourthly “Remove orphans” will remove terms which are not linked to any other term in the visualization.
Additional terms can be added though the “Find Term” box. When you begin typing a word into the box, an auto-complete box will suggest possible choices. To select the word and add it to the set of selected terms, click the word in the drop down menu of auto-completed words or finish entering the word in the text box and press “enter” on the keyboard. Not all words that are proposed by the auto-complete box occur within the text and selecting a term that does not then appear in the main display would indicate that this term is not present. If the term is present it will be added to the body of the graph along with a number of words directly linked to it.
Another way to add words is to double click on any of the existing words in the graph. This will add a number of words with which the primary word is connected to. Double clicking again will continue to add more of the less frequently occurring words into the graph. This manner is less directed and more exploratory, turning up connections you may not have anticipated.
To remove a single word right click on any word and select “Remove word”. You may have noticed this choice in the menu discussed above in relation to sticking/unsticking a word.
To clear the entire graph select “Clear Terms” in the top right hand corner of the tool.
Like all Voyeur tools, Links can be reused in a variety of ways:
- create a link that is specific to the corpus and options that are currently being used
- embed the current corpus and options as a tool in an external page
For more information see exporting and reusing Voyeur Tools.
[iframe src=”http://voyant-tools.org/tool/Links/?useReferer=true&stopList=stop.en.taporware.txt” style=”width: 100%; height: 400px;”]