Document Type Frequencies Grid provides an ordered list of word frequencies along with other statistical data for each document in a corpus.
- Getting Started
- Interface Elements
Document Type Frequencies Grid requires not only a corpus as input, but a word must also be specified to perform the analysis. This can be commonly accessed from other tools by clicking on individual terms. For example, if using the tool Cirrus, clicking on one of the words will bring you to a Document Type Frequencies Grid analysis in a new instance of Voyant Tools default skin.
There are several other tools in Voyant that behave similarly:
Document Type Frequencies Grid includes the standard set of interface elements (see image to the right). For more help with these see the Voyeur Tools Standard Interface Elements page.
The tool provides a sortable table of various pieces of statistical information for word occurrence in the corpus. The default presentation provides four columns:
- “Document” which provides the words name highlighted in yellow.
- “Count” which provides the number of times the word appears in the corpus.
- “Relative” which provides the frequency of the words occurrence relative to length of the document.
- “Trend” a thumbnail pic of the words trend across the corpus.
Clicking on any one of the down arrows to the right edge of any of the column headers will produce a drop-down menu that provides several options for configuring the display.
- Firstly in this menu the “Sort Ascending” and “Sort Descending” buttons allow you to sort organize the table by ordering the rows. The column on which the sorting is toggled will be the one that will determine the order of the rows, the other columns will act subordinate to it. This however can be accomplished more simply by clicking on the column header anywhere to the left to the left of the drop-down menu arrow, clicking subsequently will toggle between “Sort Ascending” and “Sort Descending”.
- Secondly within this drop-down menu there is also a sub-menu titled “Columns”. Hovering over this button will provide a further menu for all of the other possible column choices. Clicking on an additional column will immediately add it to the table. Clicking on a column choice that is already present in the table will remove it. The presence of a column choice in the table is indicated by the check-box to the left of the selection.
- Thirdly the drop-down menu also displays the options “Group By this Field” and “Show in Groups”. Grouping the documents by a field will check to determine if any documents have identical values for that characteristic and will group them as such. When the rows are grouped in the table it is presented as a row or a group of rows having a title that separates the table into lines or groups of lines. Clicking ‘Group By This Field’ in the drop-down menu will allow the user to indicate which characteristic the documents will be grouped by. To minimize a group click on the minimize icon to the left of the group title. “Show in Groups” most usefully toggles between turning the grouping features on, and turning the grouping features off.
Words can also be added through the “Search” box in the bottom toolbar. Once the user begins typing a word the box will provide suggestions to auto-complete the word. To add the word to the tool, finish typing the word and press “Enter” on the keyboard or select one of the auto-completed suggestions. This however will only add one additional word to the tool besides the original word selected from another Voyant Tool.
The favourites list allows that user to compare terms that are not necessarily positioned near each other in the data, or to keep terms readily accessible. To add a term to the favourites list click the check-box next to any terms and click on the add icon to add them to your favourites list. The add icon is the heart overlayed with s plus sign within the green circle.
Selecting one of the words will open a new instance of Voyant Tool’s default skin with a focus on that word.
Like all Voyeur tools, Document Term Frequencies can be reused in a variety of ways:
- create a link that is specific to the corpus and options that are currently being used
- embed the current corpus and options as a tool in an external page
For more information see exporting and reusing Voyeur Tools.
[iframe src=”http://voyant-tools.org/tool/DocumentTypeFrequenciesGrid/?useReferer=true” style=”width: 100%; height: 400px;”]