Corpus Grid provides an overview of a corpus, displaying each document’s title, total number of words (word tokens), number of unique words (word types), and lexical density (the ratio of tokens to types).
- Getting Started
- Interface Elements
When you first arrive to the Corpus Grid tool you will see one of two possible screens:
Corpus Grid with a pre-loaded corpus. You were probably given a URL that included the corpus, or you’re viewing a page that has an embedded Voyeur tool in it. If you prefer, you can also start without a corpus.
Corpus Grid includes the standard set of interface elements (see image to the right). For more help with these see the Voyeur Tools Standard Interface Elements page.
The first line in the tool before the table of data about the documents provides a short one line overview of the corpus. This line indicates the number of documents, the number of words (tokens), and the number of unique words (types). Below this is a table where each of these categories is broken down for each document in a tabular format.
Clicking on any one of the down arrows to the right edge of any of the column headers will produce a drop-down menu that provides several options for configuring the display.
- Firstly in this menu the “Sort Ascending” and “Sort Descending” buttons allow you to sort the table by ordering the rows. The column on which the sorting is toggled will be the one that will determine the order of the rows, the other columns will act subordinate to it. This however can be accomplished more simply by clicking on the column header anywhere to the left of the drop-down menu arrow, clicking subsequently will toggle between “Sort Ascending” and “Sort Descending”.
- Secondly within this drop-down menu there is also a sub-menu titled “Columns”. Hovering over this button will provide a further menu for all of the other possible column choices. Clicking on an additional column will immediately add it to the table. Clicking on a column choice that is already present in the table will remove it. The presence of a column choice in the table is indicated by the check-box to the left of the selection.
- Thirdly the drop-down menu also displays the options “Group By this Field” and “Show in Groups”. Grouping the documents by a field will check to determine if any documents have identical values for that characteristic and will group them as such. When the rows are grouped in the table it is presented as a row or a group of rows having a title that separates the table into lines or groups of lines. Clicking ‘Group By This Field’ in the drop-down menu will allow the user to indicate which characteristic the documents will be grouped by. To minimize a group click on the minimize icon to the left of the group title. “Show in Groups” most usefully toggles between turning the grouping features on, and turning the grouping features off.
Clicking on any of the document titles will open the corpus in a new instance of the Voyant Tools default skin.
Like all Voyeur tools, Corpus Grid can be reused in a variety of ways:
- create a link that is specific to the corpus and options that are currently being used
- embed the current corpus and options as a tool in an external page
For more information see exporting and reusing Voyeur Tools.
[iframe src=”http://voyant-tools.org/tool/CorpusGrid/?useReferer=true” style=”width: 100%; height: 400px;”]